Selfish Sewing Week//Garment Two: Shorter days top

September 25, 2013

 

Here is my second offering for Selfish Sewing Week.  A super simple two piece t-shirt. 


The pattern is Burda - Shorter Days top 11/2012 (although I think it should be called "longer days top" since we are nearing daylight savings here in Australia!).  I am very fortunate to have a big stash of current Burda pattern magazines at my local library (which is a two minute walk from our house)...love it!The fabric is a poly/cotton (with a tiny bit of stretch in it) from my local op shop and knew it would be cool for something.  I finished the neck and armholes with royal blue bias binding for fun. 


Keeping it real in this shot...me crouching so Isabella can get my head in the shot, and Emily making her way over to me to get picked up..."I ge... ah..."/Translation: "I get UP!" is her first phrase!! 

As you can see, you need to wear a singlet underneath as the armholes are a bit gapey.  Unfortunately, the stretch in this top is minute so in hindsight it was not the best choice of fabric for this pattern.  It is tricky to get on and off but I still know I will wear it because I love the look.  I will definitely make it up again in a stretchier knit.   The pattern can also be made up as a knee length dress which would look cool. 

I hope to get two more garments finished this week - my first washi dress that I started yesterday and a little skirt I have cut out ready to go!  This is fun!

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. That's lovely! Well done to you!!!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute top! I love it...and I love the big gaping armholes...it looks very modern and trendy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Love the fabric, it works really well with the contrasting blue trim. That sleeve style is really in at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snap! Love this top Suz and I love that you found the fabric at the op shop (fellow op shop fabric hunter). Can't wait to see your washi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are so cute, Suz! Love that blue binding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! This week is so much fun, hey?! What brand are your jeans? They look really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are diesel. Can you believe I found them at the op shop for $12? Brand new. Bargain!!

      Delete
  7. I think I need to check out the library for their patterns. A Monday thing to do I think!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the shirt! I would have never thought to look for sewing magazines in the library. Thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it is lovely. The trim is great! You are so gorgeous. Skinny thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unusual, but a nice top, the fabric pattern is very pretty. I'm just finishing my second Washi dress for the week, but have had nobody to take photos of me! Maybe I should enlist my oldest kid too? I think I'll have to do one big post about my week on the weekend. Happy sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks great Suz, a dress would be gorgeous too!, trines x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The top looks fabulous on you...shows off how trim you are!:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼