Introducing MISS POLLY - a new dress design

August 03, 2015


Hi there:) I am excited to share a new dress design I sewed up last week.  I am naming it the Miss Polly pinafore and dress.


I made this one for Emily as she only has a couple of winter dresses that fit her.  This dress is inspired by this dress I made a few years ago for Juliette.  It features the same shoulder flaps (that my sister designed) and I wanted to work out a way to incorporate a big pocket in the dress.  So the arched yoke and curved apron pocket evolved.  



The pocket lining does not extend all the way to the hem as that would make the pockets to deep and a bit impractical. The dress again features piping (I love piping) around the bottom of the yoke, the pockets and the shoulder flaps. 

For this dress I used a lovely soft pinwale corduroy and some beautiful Cloud 9 floral (from the Wildwood collection) designed by Elizbeth Olwen - both from Spotlight (on sale - yay!!). I am lucky to have Spotlight around the corner and they stock lots of Cloud 9 fabrics. The blue colourway of this print is gorgeous too. The whole dress including zipper cost around $11.

The dress closes with an invisible zipper at the back.


Ten minutes after these photos, Emily fell in a muddy puddle and dirtied this dress up - oh well - that's what playful dresses are for, right?

There are two more views for this design which are both suitable for warmer weather and this view will be available in three quarter or full length sleeves.


This pattern is in very early stages but keep an eye out for more versions and progress!  PS. I am on instagram  (@sewpony) now so if you are over there - please say hello!

You Might Also Like

27 comments

  1. Too cute, love the big pocket and the shoulder flaps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, love it! Nearly bought some of the wildwood a while ago but need to get my stash down! But if it's still on sale...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely! Wouldn't it be possible to loose the zipper by making the flaps fully functional? A loose sizing for the waist would be necessary, so might not be possible, but when I saw the flaps I thought no-zipper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miranda. This would mean the fit would have to be a lot looser which is not the look I am after;) invisible zips are super easy to instal too:)

      Delete
  4. This dress is so perfect! I can't wait for the pattern, I'm sure my little Liv will be beautiful with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just adore this dress. Can't wait for this one xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Suz, that's such a pretty dress. I'm totally in love with the whole design! Totally want a german version ;) Especially since it has also long sleeves for nice fall/winter dresses! Ah, the flaps, the pocket, the yoke - sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Suz ! I enjoy this dress ! where can I buy your pattern ? it's not on your etsy'store ? many thanks and best regards from France.Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth- it will not be available til next month;)

      Delete
  8. Ok suz ! thanks for the replay ! I'll keep an eye on your store !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the full version is even more beautiful than the little sneak peak on facebook! Can't wait to see some other versions of this cute dress

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful design! Can't wait to sew one for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just gorgeous! Love those details. I've just made a couple of dresses in Wildwood too, I think it's one of my favorite fabric collections!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving it! Look forward to hearing more!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks lovely :) I'll follow you on instagram too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so perfect just the way it is! I am so glad it has a zipper. I have a granddaughter with Cerebral Palsy & having the zipper makes it so much easier to put it on her. If it didn't have the zipper, she wouldn't be able to get it on. Thumbs up from my sweet granddaughter who loves to wear dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely gorgeous as usual! congrats Suz <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Suz, this dress is simply stunning. Love the curved lines. A job well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼