How to make...fabric and paper covered magnetic pegs

February 26, 2013

You will need:
  • Magnetic strips - mine were from a generic craft store - on a roll and then cut
  • Scraps of fabric/and or paper
  • Wooden pegs
  • Mix of PVA (wood glue) and water (I mixed 1 part glue to 3 parts water)
  • Extra PVA
1.  For fabric pegs, start by immersing scraps of fabric into glue mix (this stops the fabric from fraying and also gives it a cardboard texture. 
 2.  Allow fabric to dry (if you are living in Melbourne at the moment, this will take about 10 minutes in the sun!).
3.  Trace around peg shape and cut with sharp scissors.
4.  Put PVA along one side of peg and stick cut fabric or paper, stick magnet on other side (make sure you test the correct side of magnet to paste by placing on fridge).
 I used this method to hold magnet in place while glue set.
Super quick and easy...you are done!

 I think they make a sweet little housewarming gift...

Or, you could just keep them for yourself!
 
P.S.  I am so excited with the feedback I have had from my dress pattern.  And as a little aside, it has had over 1,800 views and since I posted it on my blog four days ago.  Yahoo!

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. Yay!i love this idea! so so easy,yet they look great.often the simplest ideas are the best.i think i shall make some for a friend who has recently moved back into the neighbourhood.

    thanks for the inspiration!

    mezz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been meaning to make some of these, I never thought to try it with fabric though, a great way to use up some scraps. Congratulations on the runaway success of your dress pattern, everyone loves a great tutorial and pattern, and you can't beat a free one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! I've been trying to think up a thrifty housewarming present idea for a few weeks...now I've got one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Suzie, how do you manage to take a photo of your two hands?? :) Great way to pin things to the fridge, beats magnets of local members of parliament which were left in our letter box! Kaz xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there,
    These are great! What a super little project! I think I might have a go - to add some more colour to my crafting room! :-)
    Thanks for sharing!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming from someone who doesn't sew...do you ever sell any of your dresses? I'd buy several! Adorable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting! This is indeed an awesome housewarming and giveaway gifts for parties since it’s easy to make and cost less. This is worth the try, and hopefully my wife appreciates it when she saw the finish product. ;-)

    Jake Grant

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼