A little black dress

March 30, 2014


Last weekend my girls woke early and after my morning coffee, I started drawing in my sketch book.  By the time my husband was up an hour later, I had drawn up this bodice and sketched out some options for a new dress design.  This is the first dress that has come of the sketches and drafting and I am really happy with how it came out.


It features a cross over v-neck with flat rectangular collar pieces which are caught in the shoulder seams.  I need to fiddle a bit with the bodice line as when it is worn on the body the dress curves upwards a little, whereas I want it to appear straight when worn. These sleeves are three quarter with a small bias cuff which is top stitched in the ditch of the seam.  The skirt is gathered and the dress closes with three buttons at the back - with extra opening down the skirt.  This makes the dress super easy to get on and off - sort of the way you would donn an art smock.  I find I tend not to grab the dresses of the hangers that are not easy to put on and off as I hate trying to squeeze my little girls arms up into armholes through tight waistlines!



Below you can see how the collar does not extend all the way around to the back.  The bodice pieces are lined.  I have already cut out view two of this design in a gorgeous loose weave vintage style blue and white spot with a little bit of black. 

  
As you may have read here and here, I am busy working on a bathing suit pattern, but I think this one is next in the queue.  Other options will include:
- sleeveless
- flutter sleeves (what can I say, they are so pretty!)
- curved pockets with bias trim
- tunic/shirt length option



I sort of love black floral...well a nice one is hard to find, but I have been wanting to sew with one for a while.  I bought this one at good old Spotlight (well, my local store is 3 minutes from my house so I am pretty much there every week for bits and pieces!). 

Do you like this dress?  I look forward to showing you the other two views over the next few weeks...

You Might Also Like

22 comments

  1. this is great:) love the bodice, sweet collar and fabric! great job! wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so adorable Suz! I love that fabric... And the shape is really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazingly clever you are to be able to turn an idea into a sketch and then into an actual dress - looking forward to seeing version 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this one! The straight lines of the collar are great!
    Looking forward to see the other options!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is SO pretty Suz. From sketches to finished result is a FUN process....when it works out like this :-) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mie! Yes you are right it is really fun when it works!!

      Delete
  6. This is beautiful. love the collar and beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this color - classy but cute. Can't wait to get some specifics on this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! Gorgeous! The fabric is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's lovely! And the construction of the collar is awesome, great detail. Looking forward to the other views!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how the collar comes down from the shoulder seams. What a great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks guys! I love the next one just as much and can't wait to share!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful dress! And I agree with you completely on annoying-to-get-on-dresses. This dress looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dress is lovely Suz. Love the collar and the V neck. Do the bodice pieces overlap on the front of the dress? It must feel great to see a dress that not long ago was just a sketch! Looking forward to seeing more versions :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! The fabric gives it a bit of a Japanese style I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The fabric is very nice. I agree about the bodice seam needing a bit of a tweak.

    Looking at the photos, I am wondering if the rise on the bodice seam has to do with the shoulder seam. The shoulder seam on the second to last photo looks like it is rolling towards the back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. SUZ! You are on a roll!!! Love this....as well as your swimsuit pattern in the works.... YOU. GO. GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know what it is about kids wearing black, but I love it! Awesome dress design!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, you are so clever to turn a sketch into this beautiful dress. Love the way the collar is constructed, and choice of fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼