Kids' Clothes Week: A deer top

April 20, 2015


I am sewing along with this season of Kids' Clothes Week (which, for those who do not know, is sewing an hour a day for your kid/s for one week and sharing your makes). The theme for this season is "Wild Things". My girls (particularly Isabella) love animals, so this theme is perfect.  I did start this top on the weekend but finished it today.  All up, it probably took about 90 minutes.



I only had one animal print on hand in my stash (which will feature in a dress I am making this week), so I decided to do some applique for this project instead. I love deer.  They are such beautiful animals. We actually have three deer who live next door but we don't see them often as they are in a paddock that is difficult to see.  The girls have hand fed them though. I would have loved a photo of Issie with them, but that was a bit difficult to arrange.  Goats, on the other hand come right up to our fence, so we said hello to them today.





I hand copied the deer head from this image I found on pinterest. I cut up a 100% merino wool knit top of mine that was given to me by my sister and I had not yet worn.  I  cut it down to Issie's size, tracing from one of her fitted tops. I used double sided vialene to attach the deer head to the top.  The floral is a vintage piece that was leftover from a dress I am making for a friend's daughter (the pillowcase belonged to her Grandmother and there was just enough leftover for this project).  I decided to add a bit more of the floral (so it wouldn't go to waste!) as frills at the shoulder seams. The cuffs are extra long like in my Little Betty top pattern and are lovely soft mustard rib I found at Spotlight a while ago.


I am super happy with how this top turned out!  Actually it is proabably the best top I have made I think. Isabella was very excited to see it come together.  I love when garments evolve and turn out better than you first imagined!  If you feel inspired to do some animal applique, I also found this awesome image on pinterest which has heaps of great animal silhouettes.


What about you? Are you joining in with Kids' Clothes Week?


I'll see you later this week with a pony dress and a deer jacket (which I began 18 months ago and has been haunting me with sewing guilt ever since!)


You Might Also Like

15 comments

  1. Love it! Deer are awesome! I need to make some merino tops for my kids too, it's getting colder here in NZ. Love the little ruffles on the sleeves too. I'm doing a little bit of applique for my KCW day 2 garment(s) ... (I may have got a little head start on them tonight!) LOVE KCW! (PS thanks for your super sweet comment on my blog too) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny!! Will be checking in to see what you have made!!

      Delete
  2. Waw, such a nice shirt! I love the vintage fabric you used for the applique! Did you topstitch it or used a zigzag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:) I set my machine to a very small (stitch width and length) and carefully zig zagged along the edge:)

      Delete
  3. I love the shirt! The frills at the shoulders are such fun! I can't wait to start sewing my Wild Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely top! Yellow looks great on Isabelle :) I am still hoping to sew something for R this week... I was planning a jacket... we shall see :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabric combination, it is a super cute shirt. It is so amazing how well animals are recognisable from just their shape in a totally different fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really cute! I have just finished my first "wild thing", can't wait to blog about it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! Merino deer tops rock! (yep I made one this week too!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous top... love the vintage floral and the mustard rib!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼