Project Run & Play Season 7: Week 1//The Oliver + S Popover dress remix

September 10, 2013

 
I am very excited to share my outfit for Week 1 of Season 7 of Project Run & Play!!  The Cloudehill Dress is my creation for the Oliver + S Popover Dress remix challenge! 
 
 
The Popover Dress pattern is a sweet and simple A-line dress with lovely bias straps and accent strip across the front and back bodice.  I loved the straps and did not want to forego them by adding sleeves.  I also loved the accent piece at the top of the bodice and didn't want to give that up....hmmm...so how was I going to remix this pattern?    
 
1/ I pieced many rectangles (of varying widths) cut from different fabrics together to form the accent bodice piece (which I also made slightly 'taller' to capture more of the piecing);  2/ Repeated this piecing across the hemline and up the side seams to create interest (adding this piecing  up the side seams meant I adjusted the dress front and back of the pattern side seams so the dress would not be too wide;  3/ I added more fullness and detail to the front by sewing three pleats into the fabric before cutting out the pattern;   4/  The pleats are top stitched with embroidery floss to match the bias straps;  5/  The hemline is hand stitched so as not to detract from the colourfulness and piecing of the hem feature;  6/ The dress is also fully lined so that the many seams created from 'patch working' the feature pieces together are not brushing against Juliette's skin.


 
 
Here you can see I pleated the fabric before cutting out the dress.
 
 
The rectangles were cut with a rotary cutter, pieced and pressed.  The excess I cut from the bottom of the pieces became the side panels. 
 
 
Here you can see the lining - which is not pleated or pieced at the top of the bodice.
 
 
The popover dress pattern comes with a pattern for dolly too...and since I made this doll for Isabella (and one for Juliette too which is currently undergoing repair) a couple of years ago, and it happened to be exactly the right size to fit into the dolly dress, how could I resist making a mini popover? 
 
 
Juliette thought it was a great idea and would not let her doll go for the entire photoshoot!! 
 
 
I also wanted to make something for Juliette to wear in her new bob hairdo... so I made an origami butterfly hairclip (using this tutorial - I omitted the top stitching and instead hand stitched the opening shut).  I  added a beaded body and antennae and just slipped the butterfly onto an alligator hairclip.  Perfect for our Aussie spring! 
  
 
The Cloudehill Dress is named after the beautiful gardens where we ventured out to photograph Juliette in her dress (thank you to my sister Jules for helping with fending the kids away from me and the camera!!).   When I started imagining how I would remix the Popover dress, I knew I wanted to have some lovely gardens as a backdrop.  I found Cloudehill following a google search of my (semi) local area.  Cloudehill Gardens are located about half an hour's drive from our home.  They are looking lovely now...really beginning to bloom.
 

I purchased all the fabrics I used for The Cloudehill Dress from a local quilting shop (in my hometown of Warrnambool) called Periwinkle's Patchwork.  With my Mum and three sisters in tow (who graciously endured my indecision, mixing and matching until I finally chose the fabrics!!), it was a good excuse for us to have some time together without children!
  • Green spotted fabric - a gorgeous print, but unfortunately it had no name on the selvage;
  • Bright floral -  by Kate Spain for Moda (print # 27141);
  • Coral red and cream 'fly wire' pattern - from A day in the country range (Palette Pleasure);
  • Cream and larger blue spot - Kei honeycomb dot - blue on white.
  • Lemon and tiny blue spot - selvage read: Cream Basic, XLN pty ltd;
  • The gunmetal blue/grey bias binding was also from Periwinkles.  I picked up the lining of the dress (a simple green cotton lawn) from Spotlight.
 

Now...how to vote!!!   If you would like to vote for my Cloudehill Dress, I would be so grateful!!! It really is very quick...just pop over to Project Run & Play and mark the box titled: sewpony - The Cloudehill Dress at the bottom of the post, and then click 'vote'.  You can vote from any web device (or more than one if you have one!!).  While you are there, make sure you check out all the sew along entries so far...they are fab!! (Just click on 'home' to show previous blog posts). 
 
Voting closes at 8pm Thursday 12 September (US - Mountain Standard Time), which is around midday Friday 13 September for East Coast Australians.

**If voting from I-phone, you will need to select to 'view web version' to show the full site and the voting box. 


THANK YOU!!!

You Might Also Like

37 comments

  1. Hi Suz, I love your remix, esp the colours, and Juliette's new "do". It really suits her! I will be voting soon. Good luck with it, Julie dJ. ps. Hopefully, if time permits, I'll be sewing along too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome thanks Julie!! You should sew along!! How great:))

      Delete
  2. So super cute! LOVE the bob haircut with those bangs, too. Such beautiful dark hair framing that sweet face! Yay project run&play...team sewpony all the way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great start Suz ... love the pleats in the front - you're on fire! Can't wait to vote :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! I just adore the little details like the butterfly hair clip and that cuuuuuuute doll dress. I'm sewing along, but I still need to photograph my look. I hope the weather cooperates today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great!! I love the fabric choices and colors. Love it!

    Alexia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Considered you voted for!! I love this... Such great colors. Oh, and I LOVE the spring dress you made in your previous post. Gorgeous!!!! -e

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so sweet! I love the piecing; I'm a big fan of using lots of patterns, and the side panels are perfect! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! You have kept the best parts of the dress and added others to make it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet really is the perfect word for this - the pleating is adorable and the extra side panels are such a lovely unexpected touch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this dress. The colors are stunning. And your daughter is THE CUTEST! I would have voted for you if not....you know ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  12. all the dresses are so wonderful. But your dress is my favorite. I voted! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so lovely Suz - it has a definite 20s flapper vibe (including the name!) - love the colours....off to vote :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on a really beautiful dress Suz!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! Voted! I went to Cloudehill for a wedding last week. So beautiful. Wish the weather had've been nicer so I could have a good look around. Will definitely need to go back. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby:) cloudehill is really beautiful. A great lace for a wedding. We had fab weather for the photos thankfully:)

      Delete
  16. What a cute dress! Love the hand stiched pleats. Great job. I don't know if it's just me, but the link to your blog was not working on PRP. Thought I would let you know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Olga:) I have just emailed them about this. Thanks for lettinG me know:)

      Delete
  17. Love the splashes of color your piece work gave to this popover.
    http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi beautiful and very creative pattern ............... will sure make for my angels

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty dress. The piecing is impeccable. The details (pleats and embroidery) are beautiful complementing the design. I think is a fantastic remix of the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou very much! I really appreciate that:))

      Delete
  20. I really love the colors you chose and the stitches down the front. And, yay for making the doll's dress, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The patchwork with the green is just beautiful. Lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so you. The butterfly hair accessory is so cute. What an adorable doll dress, you were the only one who sewed one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks rachael! I was surprised I had the only doll dress too:)

      Delete
  23. Voted :-) Such a lovely dress and your wee daughter seems very comfy in it too, which shows it will be worn a lot!
    I'm glad you had some warm weather recently to take the pics - not like today - freezing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. An adorable, little dress, Suz!!! The colours are perfect and I just love the navy stitching. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh so cute!!! and the little butterfly is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love it! So colorful and fun and it really pops against the beautiful background. Great job, Suz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ThankYou sanae, wendy, leonie and Pam:) I really appreciate your comments:))

      Delete
  27. oh I loved this dress & voted for you as well! Chin up ... sweet mini dolly dress too ... & I just spied your candy red & white dress ... so sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼