KCW: Mara dress

October 24, 2013


As you may have read here, I happily sewed up Marte from Compagnie M's debut commercial pattern - the Mara blouse.  I LOVED the yoke detail and really wanted to have a go at making the dress version using Marte's tutorial included in the pattern.  I was flicking through my pinterest images thinking about Kids' Clothes Week, and I found this one....


The style of this pretty pintuck dress reminded me of Marte's pattern.  So I really wanted to make the Mara dress in a bright yellow.
 



I made the dress with butterfly sleeves this time and I also added rounded pockets with bias trim.  I really love the Mara blouse pattern.   The yoke is adorable and the sleeve and blouse/dress options make it a pattern you can use all year round.  I know it will be a pattern I will pull out again and again.  It has just the right mix of a bit of a challenge (yoke) and a straightforward sew (the rest of it!) to keep me interested.


I used apricot coloured store bought bias to make the piping and to edge the neckline.  For some reason, white piping in the size I like seems to be as rare as hen's teeth at my local fabric store.  So for this dress I actually twisted to pieces of acrylic 9ply wool to make piping!! It didn't retain it's form as well as regular piping but I kind of like how it sits flatter.  The buttons were a 'Eureka'! moment...I was hunting though my orange button bag and could only find mediocre flower buttons that I didn't feel lifted the dress.  I randomly looked through my pink bag and found three of these gorgeous vintage ones I forgot I had. Yessssssss.
 

I love how the sun performed here and decided to shine right on Juliette's head for the photos.


Juliette is often reluctant for a photoshoot, but after I showed her the little chalk garden she was very co-operative!


Marte and I have become good blogging friends over the past couple of months and after I sewed up her pattern, I decided to also offer her mine.  You can imagine my delight when I opened the photo she sent me today to attach to this post.  Have a look!!! Just like the real Belgian Debbie books!!! Thank you so much Marte!!!!


To have a better look at this sweet dress, please visit Marte's blog:))  Marte is also offering a 10 % discount on her lovely Mara blouse pattern for all sewpony readers until the 31st October.  Just use the discount code:  10offsewpony at checkout!!

You Might Also Like

24 comments

  1. Wohooo! I'm in love with thie Mara dress. Well done Suz!!! Thanks for offering me your great pattern. M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to log out when I saw your post :) I also say yesssssssss to those buttons :) The dress is just gorgeous Suz :) The colour is perfect for sunny days, and on gloomy cold days (like today) it will make one feel warmer and happier :) The chalk garden is such a cute idea :0 I wonder if it will look just as cute on a green Colorbond fence haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh waw, this is such a beautiful version of the Mara dress! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful Suz! The yellow is lovely and I love the choice of apricot to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bright colors - they suit Juliette so well :-). Such a lovely dress - well done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the chalk garden and dress too of course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, this turned out SOO cute, I love the yellow so much!!! I'm having fun sewing this week and it looks like you are too :o) Emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love this. The color is so vibrant, looks beautiful on your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my favorite version, so beautiful. What a change with pockets! Soooooo good. I like the colors too, warm for this cooler days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a sucker for yellow and the Mara blouse is one of the patterns that I want to sew within the next weeks. This is so inspiring and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. really adorable! I love the piping color.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love both of these sweet dresses! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love the colour! So perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lovely sunny dress! Love he styling with the chalk garden... and buttons in bags, apparently colour coded? Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable Suz - lovely the bright sunny colour!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely lovely creations, Suz and Marte!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE this dress, Suz! It's such a warm color and just adorable on your little girl. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼