A little boat dress

August 02, 2014


I am trying to finish some half made garments at the moment.  I, like many sewers (I think), start something, then put it down after distracted or excited about a new project, and start something else. I started this dress a few weeks ago and had to get it finished before Emily grew too much more.  


I found this sweet retro boat print at my local fabric store at discount and thought it would look really sweet in a little girl's dress.  I used my Debbie's birthday dress pattern and drafted sleeves for our cooler weather. The ric rac faux collar only extends around the front of the dress.  I just drew a chalk line where I wanted the ric rac to sit and sewed it down before the dress was constructed. It's a sweet detail, I think.  I didn't get an unblurred (running) shot of the back of the dress, but I used an invisible zipper instead of button and loop so that no winter breezes could creep in. Below is Emily amazed by the early evening moon. 


Emily was busy playing with duplo when I asked her if she would try on her boat dress for me so I could take some photos. Her immediate reply was, "No, i not!" I then whispered in her ear that I would give her a chocolate button and she smashed the duplo out of the way and said, "Let's go, Mummy!" This girl is ridiculously cute and cheeky!


You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. She is gorgeous and cheeky indeed ;) Love the dress Siz. The collar is such a cute detail, and I love the print. Perfect dress for this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fabric is beautiful - and your little girl is such a sweetie! I'm always happy to hear I'm not the only one who has to bribe children to model... By the way I just made your cosi swimsuit for the first time and I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks adorable. Very cute dress, love the print!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness! i cannot handle the cuteness! these pictures are so, so great! Emily reminds me so much of Iris!!! two peas in a pod, those two!
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I love the ric-rac mock collar, and drafting sleeves for your dress was a great idea...gets me thinking, I could do that too, or rather than have that added to the always growing sewing list, I'd certainly buy a pattern-upgrade if you wanted to do one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I relate to your whole story, the bribe with chocolate, the unfinished projects, your daughter amazed at a daytime moon. I love the ric rac faux collar, will have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What gorgeous fabric - it looks vintage. I love the way you've done the collar. What a cheeky little face :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daughter is so sweet! ;)
    And I love this dress! The collar looks amazing and I might have to steel this idea from you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh boy idk if this could get any cuter! the colours are perfect, i love the collar and Emily's little face <3 yeesh! too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼