New pattern progress

May 25, 2015


Do you remember this dress I made Emily last year? At that point, I had the pattern half drafted then let it be for months thinking I wasn't sure I loved it. I also had the dress I am sharing today half made and was hesitant to finish it worrying it wouldn't look right on Issie - well guess what? It does! It has renewed my faith in the design and I am pushing on with finishing the pattern (with a few changes)...


This collar sits flatter to the dress than I intended, and the next collar I sew up will sit up a little more, like on Emily's dress. Issie is wearing the 3/4 sleeve version (which I will lengthen my a little bit). There is also a sleeveless version and extended cap sleeve version.


Issie is dragging the pockets down a bit here, and despite how it looks in this photo the horizontal line of the pocket opening does sit horizontally.


On this version, I threaded the elastic all the way across the back, instead of just in the centre. I think it works better. The sleeve head is gathered and sits up a little above the shoulder line for a feminine touch.


The fabric I used is beautiful and soft and I really love it. It is Monarchy in denim blue, Moonlit by Rashida Coleman-Hale. I bought it from Miss Matatabi, but it's no longer in Frances' shop (you can still get it online in lots of places, like here). I made bias binding from some cotton couture fabric I had which picks up the soft red in the fabric. The collar is secured with two little shirt buttons. Issie threw the headband on the last minute - how did she know it would match so well?


We love our neighbours!

I intend on making another three quarter sleeve version with the changes I have made to the pattern since sewing this dress as well as the extended cap sleeve version before the pattern will be ready for testing - but hopefully that will be in the next couple of weeks. Yay!

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. Oh lovely again! I loved the first version already amd this one is also great! Looking forward to your testers call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow .. can't wait for the pattern .. i love it and yes, definitely have faith in your design. I love your cosi pattern too and have made 2 of it already!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you. I would love to see your cosis

      Delete
  3. I am curious how you sandwiched the piping in the L shaped pocket :) I liked the first version and I like this one also. A garment that a little person can put on and off by themselves is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks jenya:) the pattern will obviously show you how to turn your piping. Glad you like!

      Delete
  4. Darling dress! I like the cap sleeves version and would love to be your pattern tester if I have chance :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this design Suz - the collar is stunning. Good luck with the refinements - look forward to seeing more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks girls! I am excited about this dress again and have my next one cut out ready to test!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Once again you've added such great details... Looking forward to the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this, Suz! You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼