Tic tac toe top!

January 28, 2019


This little blog has been pretty quiet lately! That's not to say a lot of sewing hasn't been going on.  I guess with the arrival of instagram, I, like many other sewers who have blogs have been blogging less. Instagram is great because it's so quick and easy but sometimes I like things to be here too! So my first blog post for 2019 is a little top I made Emily.  We have been enjoying warm weather here (sometimes too warm), and the girls are on school holidays.  I love this time of year when they can play outside until bedtime and our days are free and easy.


I have been doing a lot of tidying these school holidays which has included going through my sewing room and sorting fabrics and patterns.  I have rediscovered fabrics I had forgotten about and I found this sweet little orange print that my sister gave me which was leftover from a quilting project of hers. The selvage wasn't on the remnant I had and it was a small piece.  I love it so much that I wanted to make a garment out of it, but only had enough for a small bodice.  Since Emily is still in size 5 sewing patterns, I managed to squeeze a tic tac toe bodice from it.   


I paired the print with a white and black polka dot fabric I had from an op shop.  Emily has been enjoying wearing shorts this summer so I decided to make her a top.  I used the half collar of the tic tac toe pattern and just made two gathered rectangles for the peplum frill.  Since I have been tidying out my fabrics, I am also trying to use things up before I buy more.  So I used a regular zip and exposed all of it.  To do this, I subtracted 1cm from either of the centre backs to create an opening, then I sewed the zip on top.  I left the centre back necklines open by 1-2cm to allow the top of the zip to sit inside the neckline,  then I top stitched it shut when top stitching the zip to the top.   I had to take care sewing the peplum frill to the bodice around the zip, but my sewing machine handled it ok!


Changing the tic tac toe dress pattern into a little peplum top was such an easy alteration and I really love how it turned out.  Emily LOVES this top and has worn it so much already.  It looks sweet with shorts and jeans too.


 And that smile!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼